Friday 5 September 2014

A Desk of One's Own, Bedroom Tax, and Lotteries

I'm not going to write about those precious things threatened by a possible Yes in the Scottish Referendum in two week's time, such as the Bedroom Tax, the National Lottery, and even private possessions (according to some terrified No supporters). I'm going to write about working space. 
Working space (i.e. a desk of one's own) is very important when you're doing a PhD, but setting one up is not as straightforward as it sounds. In theory, all PhD students are offered office space at the commencement of their studies. In practice - alas! - an office of one's own is a dream equivalent to winning the lottery. You actually have to win the lottery to get one. This is not a manner of speaking: it is the literal truth. After the academic year has started and office space has been allocated to those lucky ones whose scholarship terms particularly state they are entitled to office space (not all scholarships offer this - unfortunately mine doesn't), there is a waiting list for the rest, the order determined by lottery draws. Office space is allocated as it becomes available. Less than half of interested PhDs received one last year, and it is predicted that even fewer will receive one this year. The lottery list is only valid for the academic term, which means that you might have been one place away from getting a desk last year, but this year it's back to square one. No waiting lists. For some reason waiting lists are not on. I suppose it's considered as ludicrous, as, say, having waiting lists in the National Lottery: "Hey, I've been playing for fifty years, isn't it time I won something?" When the one and only criterion is luck, waiting lists just don't make sense.


The Itinerant Scholar, alias Academic Bag-lady,
opens shop every morning, carries it all back home
every night (no more book space in the locker).
Let so much be said for office space at uni, as Anna Comnena would say. But oh, for a room of one's own at home! One corner in the bedroom it is for me. I'm going slightly deaf from having the ipod permanently stuck into my ears, and pre-classical music doesn't do much to block the regular household noises anyway (I should be listening to Wagner perhaps, but then I'd go deaf much more quickly). If we had a spare room at home to turn into a study, we'd have to pay bedroom tax for it. Many would think that it's rich of the poor to want luxuries such as workspace for intellectual pursuits. The poor have no business being intellectuals, is what they think. 

 I'm not complaining, mind: I made certain choices in my life, which I don't regret for a minute, and which led to a - shall we say - definitely not opulent lifestyle. I'm happy with that. I don't ask for the taxpayer to fund my intellectual habit, either. (I do question - no, I directly refute and reject - the fairness of the Bedroom Tax, though). It would just be nice to have more support for intellectual pursuits where intellectual pursuits are institutionally nurtured. There surely must be a better way to do this than a lottery!  

 I inquired and was informed that the College of Art's decision had the support of student representatives. Fair enough, and this is what democracy is all about: representatives speak for those whom they represent. The good thing is that within such a system, as long as you speak to your representatives, and your representatives speak for you, you can change things that seemed a good idea at the time but don't really work after all. (Something for voters to think about for Sept. 18)

In the meantime, it' is a Corner of One's Own for me in the Postgraduate Study space for the CoA. I'm getting fond of it. Lovely soothing blue on the wall, and it's really quiet, so pre-classical music is fine even at a low volume. 







No comments:

Post a Comment