Monday 10 November 2014

A night in amber light.


The Hunterian keynote event last week (already!) went very well. This is probably what I've enjoyed most so far in the PhD, apart from the writing, and some of the reading. The Hunterian Art Gallery is a lovely place, steeped in that special, mellow light - at least this is what I see in my mind when I think of it afterwards - which must be emanating from all those paintings, all those pigments. It is a place I like to nip into even for a few minutes ever so often just to catch a soothing glimpse at the dark reds and rich ambers.

But that night. Such a wealth of ideas, variety of projects, fresh ways to look at old objects, art in the making... We are lucky to live in a place and time when so much is offered to keep our minds alert and to please our senses. A living, working museum, an open art gallery are true blessings: may they a thrive, and may they always be accessible and free to the public.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself that night. There's nothing like talking about things you are passionate about to an intelligent and interested audience. But my best part of the night was the last bit, when Brianna sang an aria from Handel's Rinaldo, her full, golden-timbred voice filling the room with ripples of nostalgia and yearning.




No comments:

Post a Comment